A Little Bit About Batting
A quilt is like a sandwich and is made of three layers. The top, batting and backing. The batting is what goes in the middle of the "quilt sandwich.” This little informational tutorial will discuss many different types and uses of batting (See 60 Uses for Batting ). You can choose from 100% cotton, polyester, cotton/polyester blend, bamboo, wool, silk, etc.
To help decide which to use, you may want to ask yourself a few questions first:
- What will the finished product be used for? Quilt, wall hanging, bed-spread, etc.
- Who will the end user be? Does it need to be flame retardant for children?
- Does it need to be especially warm?
- In a warm climate - does it need to breathe?
- How do I want the finished quilting project to look - flat or fluffy? Contemporary or traditional?
- Do I need a light or dark batting?
- Will it be hand or machine quilted?
- How much am I willing to spend?